Frankfort has a rich and storied history as well as a natural beauty as it sits on the Kentucky River surrounded by rolling hills. The many historical sites, museums, landmarks, architectural styles, and cultural offerings make it a special place to live or visit.
Fifty miles east of Louisville, 25 miles west of Lexington, and 70 miles south of Cincinnati, Frankfort’s prime location is a key ingredient to the city’s prosperity. This desirable area is known as the Bluegrass State’s "Golden Triangle."
Because of Frankfort’s convenient location, affordable housing, low crime rate, and other community assets, it was named one of the country’s 20 Best Small Cities for Living in Kevin Heubusch’s The New Rating Guide of Life in America’s Small Cities.
Whitaker Bank’s History in Frankfort
Whitaker Bank opened its doors in Frankfort as State National Bank in August 1889. Since the earliest days, the bank has been highly regarded by the Frankfort community. The building, in which the bank’s main office has been established since 1964, is also part of the rich history of Frankfort. Formerly, the building was known as the new Capital Hotel, and was completed in 1922. This building replaced the original Capital Hotel that was opened in 1853 in an answer to a public need. Not only did the state capital need a large hotel to accommodate its guests, but Frankfort was also not very secure at that time in its position as the capital city of Kentucky. There had been rumblings calling for the capital to be moved to Lexington or Louisville. The founders of the hotel hoped that this bold move would help to retain Frankfort’s position in the state. The hotel quickly became the epicenter of social and political life in the capital city while hosting dignitaries from around the world.
Fire destroyed most of the Capital Hotel on April 5, 1917, and the stone buildings where the Frankfort History Museum currently is located are all that remain today of the original structure. The New Capital Hotel continued the tradition and remained the center of Kentucky’s political and social activity up until it closed and the bank moved into the building in 1964. When the bank moved its offices into the former Capital Hotel, it effectuated a merge of two fine and honored traditions. A strong, sound financial institution, which had worked in the community to promote growth and strength and the building which had stood as the ‘home away from home’ for the legislators and political figures that have built our state.
After Whitaker Bank Corporation purchased the bank and the building in 1985, Mr. Whitaker began an extensive renovation of the structure and restored its beauty that is still evident today. The bank has continued to prosper and continues to serve the financial needs of Kentuckians. Both the building and the bank have focused on the community and remain community oriented, locally owned, and Uniquely Kentucky!