Salvisa is a small, rural farming community, blessed with several small business and many Churches. It is located 10 miles north of Harrodsburg and about 2 miles from the Bluegrass Parkway, which makes it a chip shot from Lexington and Frankfort. Cummins Ferry Campground on the Kentucky River is an awesome get-a-way is in the Salvisa area.
Laid out by Robert McAfee in 1818 on land owned by the pioneer McCoun and McAfee families, Salvisa was incorporated as a town in 1828. Its name came from its location halfway between the Salt River and the Kentucky or “Levisa River.” Transportation was the key to Salvisa's early growth. It was a daily stop on the Crab Orchard/Frankfort Stage Line, and with its close proximity to both river trade and the railway, Salvisa soon grew to include a hotel, tavern blacksmith, shops general stores, stables, woolen factory, doctors, pharmacy, five churches and a male and female seminary.
As the hub of a large agricultural community, the community also hosted the Salvisa Stock Fair for many years. In 1880, fire swept through the town consuming most of the west side of Main Street. In all, five stables, seven businesses, and many homes were destroyed. While those business’ losses were never fully replaced, the town remained an important commerce center, and today, is proud to fill the banking, retail and service needs of the citizens of North Mercer.